The Great Stupa, Bendigo
25 Sandhurst Town Road, Myers Flat, Victoria, Australia 3556
The Great Stupa is based on the famous Great Stupa of Gyantse in Tibet and its base is 50 metres square and is almost 50 metres high.
This makes it the biggest stupa in the Western World. Construction began on the stupa in 2003 and the structure was finally completed in 2020.
During the building process, the Dalai Lama visited in 2007 and visitors have been trekking to the stupa for many years as it was slowly built. Slowly the stupa is being decorated and you can’t miss entering the stupa.
The inside of the stupa is open to the public and is a peaceful space featuring the million dollar Jade Buddha. A 2.5 metre sculpture carved from what is thought to be the largest jade boulder in the world shipped all the way from Canada.
The stupa is significant for Tibetan Buddhism but people from all walks of life are warmly welcomed to visit the amazing site.
The stupa is located in bush land a 20 minute drive from Bendigo in central Victoria. When next visiting Bendigo, make sure you take the time to drive out to The Great Stupa and witness what can be achieved from a vision of inspirational people.
Recommended by Kate Comer from Travel Around Bendigo
Best time for this activity
Best time of the day to go: Open 10:30am-3;30pm subject to change
Best time of the year to go: Anytime of year but the Lunar New Year is extra special but is busier.
Great Stupa to Bendigo – 18 min (13.5 km) via Calder Hwy/A79
Great Stupa to Melbourne – 1 hr 52 min (163.2 km) via Calder Fwy/M79
There is plenty of space for free parking!
What you should bring/wear
Bendigo Activities :
- Lake Neangar/Canterbury Gardens
- Star Cinema Eaglehawk
- Victoria Hill Mining Reserve
- Central Deborah Gold Mine
- Rosalind Park
- Golden Dragon Museum
- Bendigo Art Gallery
Places to eat in Bendigo :
- StupaView Cafe serves vegetarian food and drinks, plus gluten free and vegan options are available. Barista coffee is sourced from a local Bendigo supplier.
- Balgownie Estate menu features sophisticated Australian cuisine and matching wines from their Bendigo and Yarra Valley estates. The cheeseboards are not to be missed.
- The Friendly Bean in Marong has a range of light meals and serves delicious coffee.